Oct 1, 2009

Zzzzzzz

I haven't posted as much lately as I'd like to. Usually, an idea will just present itself in my mind and stay firmly stuck there until I pour it out into this lovely medium. But such things, instead of lodging themselves in my cranium, are passing through as quickly as they come, not stopping long enough to bother me into writing about them.

In Psychology, my professor displayed the symptoms of sleep deprivation on his PowerPoint. I yawned, struggled to open my eyes, and saw myself in obnoxious yellow font a blue background. It's not like I don't know that I'm sleep deprived. That's pretty darn obvious to anyone. But the last symptom scared/intrigued me. Microsleeps.

Apparently, if you get so far into sleep deprivation, your body will start forcing you asleep at random two-three second intervals throughout the day, completely subconsciously. I'm a little scared. My body can just rule me incompetent and take over at any time. "Since this moron is obviously unable to sleep at the regularly scheduled hours, we'll just make her!"

Being out of control generally disturbs me. This involuntary response is definitely uncontrollable. While it's probably extremely rare and you have to stay awake for 3 days straight in order to provoke it, that doesn't stop me from constantly thinking I've just awoken from a microsleep.

When I fail my driver's test, I can simply say I was microsleeping.
When I'm not paying attention in math class, microsleeping.
When my mind wanders during conversation, microsleeping.
You get the point.

So I haven't been blogging much because... you guessed it. Microsleeping.

So there is another weirdo irrational paranoia to add to my list.
I think I should probably catch some megasleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment