Oct 17, 2009

The Simple Pleasures

Since I've been in an icky mood lately, I decided I will simply write out a bunch of happy things that I love, things that invariably make me smile. Here I go!

The warm feeling when the heat kicks on for the first time of the year and how it feels up every bit of space and even the slightly burnt smell it emits. It makes me feel safe for some reason.

And the smell of my uncles' chestnuts they send us every fall wafting through the house and eating them until our hands are sore from peeling with Mom. They're so warm and sweet and perfect.

The moment of awe just after I read a particularly gripping passage in an excellent book and the moment of appreciation that I hoard selfishly to myself because another person would ruin the personal satisfaction of it. I just turn it over and over in my head, read it again, appreciating every word, and wishing I could write something that wholly amazing.

When my mom yells for me to look out the window and I see the neighbors walking their llamas down the street, looking as normal as if there was a dog at the end of the leash.

Sitting in the living room, on the spot on the couch that is always mine, talking to my family during the commercials of a universally entertaining tv show.

The first few notes of my favorite songs and the immediate recognition of the beginning of a few minutes of complete enjoyment.

The simple pleasure of writing with a fresh pen for the first time and the strong, confident marks it makes.

Sitting in an auditorium full of people who all clap together as if they have one brain but everybody knows the true diversity that sits on the bleachers.

Genuinely proud parents and teachers gushing over their kids, all the trials of raising them forgotten, eyes glistening in the happiness of that one moment of pride.

Finally finding my remote and the relief from a silly inconvenience that I feel ashamed for being annoyed by.

Making lists so I can go back and see everything laid out perfectly, showing the many simple things that sometimes more important than what's big.

No comments:

Post a Comment