Nov 18, 2009

Whoopee

Human beings whole lives revolve around sex. This is a concrete and unavoidable fact of life.

No human being is as obsessed with sex as the teenager, thus I'm usually surrounded by it. (Not literally mind you!)

During the sex chapter in my much-alluded-to psychology class, it was interesting, watching everybody squirm as my teacher casually spouted words like "orgasm" and "clitoris." Inexperienced teenagers and wiser middle-aged women all turned the same shade of embarrassed pink, even though we were just listening.

And, oh, the question and answer session! I now no longer wonder how teen pregnancy happens, because people are certainly dumb or clueless enough. What I don't understand is why it's so embarrassing.

I'm not saying I'm totally comfortable discussing it, but it's just funny how humans spend so much time obsessing over sex (just turn on the tv and count the innuendos!) but feel so uncomfortable talking about it. I guess we're just trained that way, to be embarrassed from the get-go; on day one, parents freak when kids ask where babies come from and it just goes downhill from there.

People either take sex too seriously (don't even think about it until you're married!) or not seriously enough (oh, look, I'm pregnant and playing STD bingo!). What about a moderate approach: sensible sex? That's what should be taught instead of the ineffectual abstinence classes.

But happy mediums are not what people do best, especially in what are deemed "more important" topics. I suppose this is just a short, incoherent rant, but there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment