Nov 23, 2009

In my heart there rings a melody...

I've always maintained the argument that music isn't any better or worse today than it was in any other decade and that the people living in those decades probably thought the same thing about their music as we think ours. Legends are only made with time.

But as I watched the American Music Awards last night, I couldn't help but think perhaps our music really is worse than that of decades past. I am ashamed to think that any artist performing at that ceremony is the legendary icon that will define this decade for generations to come. Surely Jay-Z is not the Elvis, the Beatles, or the Michael Jackson of our time.

Many of the performances were just sex on stage; Shakira's performance was little more than sex noises and synchronized pelvic thrusts set to generic music. How is this good?

I realize that statement makes me sound like a prude, and if being a prude means I only think you're allowed to have clothed stage sex if the song you're singing is actually good, prude I am.

I thought Shakira couldn't be beat, but then I saw Adam Lambert stuffing a back-up dancer's face in his crotch and just couldn't help but laugh. I thought sexual innuendos on primetime television were meant to be subtle, like you're supposed to wonder if the person sitting next to you got the same thing out of that that you did or your mind is just perverted. But there was no doubt it. When Adam pulled that one, everybody thought BAM ORAL SEX!

I really don't know why this is what is considered entertainment these days. I think good music is so much more than fiery pianos (Thanks Lady Gaga) and bad boxing outfits (looking at you J-Lo).

There's the times when I've sat, unable to sleep, in the middle of my bed. The only light comes from the glow of my ipod screen and the only thing I can hear or feel or think about is the simple melody and perfectly descriptive lyrics completely flooding my consciousness. This is good music.

I think the mark of a good musician is a musician who can take a whole song and make it project one singular feeling, startlingly and overwhelmingly present. From the meaning of the words to the arrangement of the chords to the tone in the singer's voice, it all works together to scream out that one, unifying emotion. That's a song worth listening to.

I don't want to come off as a musical elitist- I like Lady Gaga every now and then. But what lasts and should be praised is true artistry, not the music that rides on sheer sex appeal for popularity.

I look around and all I see is are superficial billboard hits. Will any worthwhile superstars emerge? I doubt it. Everybody's too busy looking at Adam Lambert's crotch.

1 comment: