Nov 3, 2009

Ayn Rand is Following Me


And I don't mean on twitter, you internet junkies.

The author and political theorist and thinker of the 20's has decided to make a random resurgence here in good ole 2009.

I saw on the Daily Show (where most good things come from) this lady who wrote a book about Ayn Rand (it's one of those names you have to type completely out every time) and her life and her novels. That lady said that Ayn Rand's objectivism ideals often make a comeback when we have a liberal government. So I guess Ayn Rand came in with Obama.

I have an extremely limited grasp on her philosophies, but I'm extremely intrigued by her for several reasons. First off, I must say that, only with my meager understanding, I don't agree with her very much.

But her novel that I am plowing through, The Fountainhead, is beautifully and masterfully constructed. It's a good blend of story and shoving objectivism down your throat. The characters are flawlessly suited to her purposes, but you still see them as characters despite what they're meant to represent. They also have extremely cool names. Since I suck at naming characters, I must stand in aw of the perfect marriage of Dominique Francon, her name, and her painted personality.

In addition to the literary genius she no doubt was, I also have a default respect for apparently strong women. There are not many woman throughout history, today even, attributed to certain schools of thought. Here Ayn Rand is, many years later, still being drug into the political scene. She seems consistently relevant. Though like communism, her ideas appear to only look good on paper.

I'm also a little fond of that picture I've posted there of her. I find it amusing that in almost every picture of her, she is holding a cigarette and much of the same can be said for her characters. The look on her face seems to suggest a quiet confidence. She isn't the prettiest woman (And I'm sure she wouldn't have been caught dead in a Roaring 20's flapper dress) but her intelligence appears to make up for it. I just like her.
I've read that she was not the nicest to her "followers" and perhaps a bit pushy, but I suppose that can be said of any sort of leader. Though I never agree with Ayn Rand, I certainly can respect her, as she sits quietly in her leather armchair, smoking, feeling elite, and knowing somebody is reading about her right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment