May 9, 2010

Mommie Dearest

I enjoy writing letters I never deliver, as you might possibly know. Here is yet another.

Dear Mom,

It's a running joke in our family how the only way we know that you're my mother is that the birth is on tape. It's true, we don't have all that much in common at a glance. The most prominent things are our short stature and propensity for messy living spaces. And detached earlobes and weird toes. Not exactly a huge list.

But when I look a little deeper, I can find the indelible mark you've made on me.

I hate it when you make disparaging comments about yourself and your ability as a mother. I would never trade you for all the world.

You try to be over-protective, but you never let it go too far. I actually like it when you're like that sometimes, because it shows you care.

You don't always agree with me, but you don't judge me.

You always assume I'm the smartest, most talented, most amazing person at school. It annoys me when you think my friends are inferior, but I know it's just because you think the world of me.

You never really show me that you're proud, but you brag about me so much to everyone else. Yes, I saw those Senior pictures in your wallet!

You can tell when something really upsets me, when most people can't. You understand why the smallest things can hurt the most.

You gave up working so I would grow up with a very present mother.

You defend me to your own mother.

You randomly know the answers to density problems but can't spell to save your life.

You ask me fashion questions and excel spreadsheet questions with the same intensity, and expect me to know the answer.

You bring me pants when I call you in the middle of day because mine ripped, or I forgot to email myself my powerpoint, or a countless number of other things. You always save me from myself.

The cliche is "my mom is my best friend!" and we both know that's not true, and that's part of the reason I'm so glad you're my mom. Moms shouldn't be best friends. They should be Moms. And you're the best mom I could ever ask for!

I know you hate mushy stuff, but I love you even if you don't know how much!

Love,
Sammi

No comments:

Post a Comment