May 17, 2010

Huddy

Why do people get so emotionally invested in television couples? I am the world's worst for this and it's particularly weird considering my lack of investment in real life couplings.

I just repressed uncharacteristic squeals (but couldn't stop the grin) as I watched Cuddy FINALLY admit she loves House and them finally share a kiss that wasn't a hallucination induced by Vicodan! I've been waiting for that ALL SEASON. But why??

I'm sooo invested in their fictional relationship that I was mentally willing them to have scenes together. It's imperative to my well-being that those two are firmly together. And they're not even real!

They aren't the only tv couple I've given a little piece of my heart to. I can count many. Most notably Tommy and Jude of Instant Star, who I felt were eternally gipped. I was completely depressed for a week after the botched series finale in which Jude breaks off their engagement and goes off to live in London. I still get sad w hen I listen to the show's soundtrack, especially their duet.

And nobody can forget Ross and Rachel. Oh the agony when he steps off that plane with another chick and Rachel's left there by herself! The sadness!

And Eric and Donna on That 70's Show. Even in a wholly comedic setting, you can't help but be completely and utterly sad every time they break up. Though the show ends with them finally kissing again, you can't help be a little dissatisfied.

And oh, Buffy and Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She freakin has to KILL HIM! I can't watch it without tearing up a little! When I was little, I even wrote their names on my Jenga blocks (yeah, I don't understand that either) and always made sure they were beside each other when we played. That episode just breaks my pathetic little heart.

But by far the very worst is Luke and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls. I was already far too invested in that tv show, but when they broke up the really bad time and didn't get back together for the whole season, I thought I might die. It's a really good thing that I watched them mostly in rapid, box-set-dvd succession so that I didn't have to suffer the agony of waiting week to week. Though it's also hinted that they end up together, I wanted to see them married so bad I still get mad when I think about it.

It's absolutely irrational. But the writers of the shows set it up so that fans feel inclined to set up entire websites dedicated to tv couples and come up with cutesy little combined names for them. You think the general public would get tired of this formula of touch and go couples, but they don't. I obviously don't, considering they appear to pull me in every single time.

Am I trying to make up for something lacking in my own life? Wouldn't that mean that everyone is also trying to fill this gap, evenly the happily married? Is it a human desire to see "true love" prevail? Is it a need to feel a craving for drama? Why, oh why? It causes me such stupid agony.

Now it's time for me to watch Big Bang Theory, where my heart can bleed for Penny and Leonard. Lord have mercy, what's wrong with our culture??

Also, did I mention how excited I am that House and Cuddy are finally together? Cause I am.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so completely invested in Ross and Rachel. They are truly my life. I tear up thinking about when "she got off the plane." That was the best moment in the history of moments. And the second best moment is when you find out that Ross is the father of Rachel's baby. It was so perfect that it hurt. But then it wasn't perfect anymore when Joey proposed to Rachel at the hospital with Ross's ring. That was so completely wrong that it hurt!

    anyways, I think part of my investment in them is that I can remember watching episodes of Friends when they were new with my sister and she always loved Ross and Rachel. They're tied to the idea of her.

    p.s. I love reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete