Sep 23, 2009

A Weemba Whop, A Weemba Whop...

The world looks different set to music.

When I make my almost-daily pilgrimage to the bus, I always listen to music. Whatever song is playing makes everything appear differently, like background music in a movie. I just hit shuffle and the world shifts to suit whatever mood my ipod happens to be in.

Once, I was kind of stressed out and shook the ipod hastily to make it shuffle. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" came pouring out of my headphones, instantly making everything around me look carefree and fun. The guy playing with his little dog in the parking lot, a group of kids doing something most likely borderline illegal in the back of a truck, a mother fussing at her son for being late to get picked up... and especially the barrage of students pouring out the school's doors and onto the buses. Goth kids just look hilarious against "A weemba whop a weemba whop". I bet everyone I pass thinks I'm insane though, since I'm probably smiling involuntarily.

On the actual bus, some random middle schoolers break out into a fight in the front, but all I can hear over the muffled cheers is "In the jungle, the mighty jungle..."
I have the feeling if my music was being played over an intercom like a movie, there would be more smiling and less fighting on the bus.

I don't always listen to happy songs about sleeping lions, but I think maybe I should. Life's more interesting as a montage.

No comments:

Post a Comment