Aug 4, 2009

You would not believe your eyes...

if ten million fireflies lit up the world as I fell asleep, cause they'd fill the open air and leave teardrops everywhere. You'd think me rude but I'd just stand and stare.
(Stolen from Owl City...)

Fireflies are so cool. What other living thing can light up? (Okay, there's probably some obscure creature I'm not aware of, but let's ignore that for the sake of my musings.)

I always liked sitting on the deck and watch them put on a show in my backyard. They light up the edge of the woods, making it look all Christmas in July. It's so simple and pretty.

More fun than watching them is catching them, however. I spent many nights catching them at my grandma's house and temporarily imprisoning them. Imprisonment for being pretty? That kinda sucks. I remember my cousin and I forgot to poke holes in the jar once and they all died and we felt horribly guilty. We had a firefly funeral and everything.

At bible school this summer, one of the mascots of the day was a firefly. When the preacher asked all the little kids if they'd ever seen fireflies, their little faces lit up like the bugs in question. They must've been remembering all the nights like the ones I was just thinking of. One of the other teachers corrected the preacher, "we call them lightning bugs around here." I guess she was right; that seems to be the regional term. But I much prefer the term firefly. It just sounds prettier, cooler (haha cooler, fire!) and does the little creature more justice.

On a blog I read, the post mentioned catching fireflies. One of the commenters remarked that she lived on the West Coast and had never seen real fireflies. I'd never thought about that before. I kind of assumed they were just everywhere, but apparently not. Which does make more sense. I never really consider the benefits of living the country very much, but I finally found one in my firefly-filled backyard.

Imagine if you just visiting the East Coast or something and nobody ever told you about fireflies and all the sudden little balls of light come flying out of the grass around you. How would you react to that? I imagine I might jump a little. I sort of wish I hadn't grown up taking the bugs for granted just to experience that small moment of wonder.

I'm not one to talk about miracles and the splendor of nature and all that kind of thing, but I have to be a little sentimental when I see those little buggers zooming around the yard. I just need to find me a mason jar with a lid and a companion willing to go bug hunting with me. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment