Aug 24, 2009

Stupid College...

The applying to college is unnecessarily complicated. Why do we make it so hard? It's just this constant cloud of stress hovering over me, no matter what I do.

Everything feels too inadequate. Somebody's always preparing better than I am, sending me into a fury of panic. "There goes one more spot in my dream school!"

It seems so silly. Almost everyone that wants to go to college gets in somewhere. Why do we make it such a big deal when if we all relaxed, it wouldn't have to be? The right people can get the right education without facing almost unbearable stress in the preceding years. For some reason, we've decided to create this intimidating aurora around college that probably does more scaring off than anything else.

I know where I want to go; I know what I want to study; I know I could succeed. But that's not enough. I have to prove this by jumping through six thousand unnecessary hoops. My needs get lost in a sea of test scores, statistics, and transfer credits. Somewhere along the way, my voice gets drowned out by the paper trail that consumes me. Every breathing second, I'm supposed to be doing something so I can make a mark on those blasted applications.

I just want to get in, get my degree, and get out. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment