Jul 17, 2009

Harry Potter Is My Forever BFF

Warning: Nerdiest post ever! =]

With all the Harry Potter hoopla surrounding the release of the new movie, I started thinking about how big of a role Harry has played in my life. He practically defined my childhood.

It all started one fateful day when my grandmother and I wandered into a bookstore. She was probably trying to buy my affections with literature. The bookstore was filled with all sorts of excited people dressed in robes and wizard's hats prancing around, carrying a green and gold emblazoned book with a boy's head on it. It quite a sight. Little did I know I would share in their craziness in just a few year's time. Curiosity got the best of me, and I asked a sales associate what all the chaos was about. She looked at me like I was a moron and told me the new Harry Potter book just came out. I figured the books must be good for everybody to act so insane about them, so I purchased Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone.

I began reading it on the way home. Maybe it's because I don't like reading in cars, or I was just in a bad mood, or Grandma kept interrupting me, but I didn't even like it. Obviously, I tried again and fell in magical love the novel. I went on to get the next three, reading my way up to the most recently published book that was being celebrated that day in the bookstore. It was then that I joined the amazing HP fandom...

I could type for days about the amazingness of the HP fandom. It sounds hopelessly nerdy and cheesy if you're not part of it. True member of the fandom are people like myself who have speculated for hours on message boards about Snape's allegiances, who RAB is, bashed H/Hr shippers, cried when characters died, solved puzzles on JKR's website, waiting in line at midnight for a new book, scoffed at Hermione's pink dress robes in the Goblet of Fire movie, analyzed movie trailers... the list goes on and on. It was more than the great fun had by analyzing and discussing the books to pieces. It's about a sense of belonging to something much bigger. The hugeness and popularity of Harry Potter is quite a unique phenomenon. Nothing has reached its popularity, in books, movies, merchandise, and fans. What other ficitional character makes national news for coming out of the closet? Only Albus Dumbledore!

There's an entire genre of music, Wizard Wrock, dedicated to Harry Potter-themed songs. There's countless bands and they release CD's and tour and everything. Fansites are unmatched. I check mugglenet.com before nytimes.com every day. I've listened to Mugglecast for years, 170some episodes, and never been let down. I feel like I almost know the hosts personally.

It seems crazy to all those who didn't catch the fandom in its heydey. The feeling of anticipation while waiting for Deathly Hallows to be released was one of the greatest experiences of my life, which sounds extremely sad, but I don't think it's that pathetic. Only those a part of it can truly understand.

So here's to all my fellow fans... Here's to everyone who's ever drawn a lightening bolt shaped scar on their forehead or poofed their hair like Hermione's, started using only their first two intials like J.K. Rowling (even though one of hers is fake!), read a supplement to the HP series, treated Beedle the Bard like an 8th release, wanted to kill Steve Vander Ark for going against JKR, owned a plastic Hogwarts and HP trading cards, had a Richard Harris vs. Michael Gambon debate, attended a release party at midnight, and wished they'd gotten a Hogwarts acceptance letter... I'm glad you got to be part of the magic with me.

I can't hardly think of a facet of my childhood that can't be connected to Harry Potter. I grew up with Harry. I started reading the books when I was 8, and Harry was 11. As I was discovering who I was, Harry was learning he was a wizard. As I grew into teenhood, so did Harry. As he was filled with angst, so was I, and where he had friends to turn to, I had fellow fans and great books to escape to.

So to anyone who says they are just books, I'll have to answer them with my favorite HP quote, courtesy of Dumbledore: "Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"

No comments:

Post a Comment