Mar 27, 2010

Career Counselling at VIP Menswear

Yesterday, I glimpsed into my friend's future. It was unsettling.

Perhaps I'm just too ideological (see: title) or perhaps I'm too cynical, or perhaps a little of both. But at the age of 18, he has mapped out his entire life, pushing mundane wares and living for the next promotion, that comes with some small impressive-sounding vacation.

But my problem is, that vacation lasts a day or two or maybe even a week. You work for it the other 362 days a year.

He kept saying, "I'm not having as much fun now, but I can retire when I'm 40 and have all the fun I could ever want."

In theory, that sounds pretty good. But when you think about it, is that really the best approach? What makes life "fun"?

People. Family and friends. They're a necessity. Where do people make lifelong friendships that carry into adulthood? College and work. Where will he be spending his college and first few working years? Selling himself into oblivion for a week-long vacation and a fluffy title. By the time he's 40, he might have all the money he needs or wants. But who is going to have the fun with? His precious knives?

This guy in a tux shop was reinforcing my friend's plans. "There aren't many young people like yourself these days. It's a shame. No ambition, no opening of opportunities." I'm thinking," dude, you sell suit coats in a mall store. " His 18-year-old ambition worked out for him...

Lately, I've been agonizing over my choice of major, of career path. Money, job security, everything like that truly does matter. My friend has plenty of financial security right now, and it will probably carry him through college. My financial future is uncertain.

But I don't want to be tied to some mundane career path because I *might* be an executive by the time I'm 23. When I'm 23, I want to be 23, not 40 years old. I want to be a college student, not a college student on the side. I want to experience each stage of life when I'm standing on that stage. I don't want to miss any more than I already have.

What is financial security when you're miserable? He's already coordinating his life around his high school job. I want my life to be my main priority. I want to seek happiness, not a paycheck.

That experience helped me to realize my true priorities. It's easy to get caught up in the numbers of things, like my friend. He's so taken in by the brainwashing of his bosses who just want somebody to run the footwork for them. I'm not going to settle for the work in front of me. I'm going to find the work I want to do. I might not be rich by the time I'm 23, but I won't be doling out life advice to teenagers in tux shops when I'm 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment